Table of Contents
- 1 Hermit Island is an island campground situated in Small Point, Maine. All the 8 beaches are open for camping. While camping on Hermit Island, you can carry out activities like hiking and boating. The following are the 8 beaches on Hermit Island.
- 2 1. Sand Dune Beach Sand Dune Beach is the main beach on the Hermit Island. It gets its name from the large rolling dunes on the beach. It may be the busiest beach but it is never crowded. On this beach, you can also rent kayaks at the Seaspray Kayaks rental shop. All the facilities on the campground are well maintained. It is nearby to attractions like Fort Popham and Popham Beach State Park.
- 3 2. Sailboat Beach Sailboat Beach is a beach with a lot of tide pools on Hermit Island. One part of the beach is a sandy beach while the other part has a rocky terrain. You can reach Sailboat beach by hiking along the walking trail or driving along the narrow road on Island Road. There are amenities such as portable toilets, big car park, paved area for picnic and fire pit.
- 4 3. West Dune Beach West Dune Beach is adjoined to the Sand Dune Beach and is only separated by a border of rocks. It is located west to the main campground. If you like climbing rock and watching sunset, you can come to West Dune Beach. Most travelers arrive by traveling the narrow road in between sites 64 and 65.
- 5 4. Sand Dollar Beach Sand Dollar Beach gets its name from the sand dollar urchins that are frequently washed up the shore. Sand Dollar Beach is the second largest beach on Hermit Island. You can pick the sand dollars and take home as souvenirs. If you can’t find one, you can buy it from the vendor. The beach is found at the northern end of the island. There is a toilet beside the car park. There is a large rock where you can look out to get a view of the sea scenery.
- 6 5. Lagoon Beach Lagoon Beach is a small strip of beach that offers a nice view over sunset lagoon. The lagoon has a lot of submerged rocks so it may not be safe for newbie swimmers.
- 7 6. Bounty Cove Beach Bounty Cove Beach is a secluded beach that not many people know about on Hermit Island. The beach is not on the island map. It has some dangerous rock shoals so it is not recommended that you swim far. To get here, you can park at the small car park on Island Road.
- 8 7. Head Beach Head Beach is a large public beach that connects Hermit Island with the mainland. It has amenities like parking lot, and restroom. The water is a bit cold and may not be suitable for swimming.
- 9 8. Spring Beach Spring Beach is located near to a dense forest. You can only reach Spring Beach by hiking on the walking trail on foot as there is no road. There are lots of mosquitoes so be sure to apply mosquito repellent cream before hiking.